Southern Gospel Perspective

My thoughts and opinions about Southern Gospel Music, both past and present. Feel free to comment and criticize...

Name:
Location: United States

12/14/2004

Christmas Recordings

'Tis the Season!

Some of my favorite music is Christmas music. My favorite songs are generally the spiritual ones.

In my opinion, these are some of the best SG Christmas recordings:

1. A Cathedral Christmas, A Capella
This recording is without a second thought my favorite recording (of any kind). The vocals and arrangements are simply incredible. The song selection is great also. Picks off this recording? It is too hard to pick just a few because they are all wonderful. If you force me though: Hark The Herald Angels Sing, Angels We Have Heard on High, and We Three Kings.

2. A Gold City Christmas
This is the latest Christmas CD by the Gold City Quartet. I have three Christmas recordings by the guys, but this one is my favorite. It is full of traditional Christmas songs and the performances are absolutely beyond compare. Gold City hit a home run with this one. My only complaint is the song selection is mostly secular, and I would have liked to have more spiritual songs on there. Picks from this CD are: The First Noel and Go Tell It On the Mountain.

3. A Greater Vision Christmas
Wow, there seems to be a shortage of good names for these recordings, huh? Didn't require too much thought for the first three anyway! Regardless, this recording like the previous two is really good. I do wish that instead of recording several individual solos, that the guys would have sung them all as a trio. Picks off this recordings are: Cherish That Name and O Holy Night (fabulous rendition by Gerald).

4. Gaither Vocal Band - Still the Greatest Story Ever Told.
This recording is not full of traditional Christmas songs, but as far as quality goes, it is second to none. I definitely enjoy listening to it. Picks are: Mary Did You Know, New Star Shining, and He Started the Whole World Singing.

5. Time Life Christmas.
I know, this is not a Southern Gospel recording. However, it IS full of great Christmas music performed by some of the greatest vocalists in music history. There are also many, many spiritual songs and the quality is very good for such old recordings. Some of the artists included are: Dolly Parton, Bing Crosby, Alabama, Mel Torme, Oak Ridge Boys, Elvis, Brenda Lee, and many more. Picks are: White Christmas, Christmas in Dixie, and Holly Jolly Christmas.

Tell me some of your favorites!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home